Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Facebook artists


My Facebook friends and their work

Facebook.  What an amazing thing social networking is.  I joined Facebook 2 years ago to keep in touch with my nephews in the US.  I didn't want to network, I had enough friends, so I would use it to post a few pictures and that would be that.  As the months and years went by, I started to find like minded people and slowly started to make new friends.  Most of the artist worked in pastels but I slowly met artist in all mediums. I admired their paintings, discussed methods, discovered new techniques and made lasting friendships.  Over the years these artist have been the most suportive and caring people I have never met.  (You know who you are)

I came in contact with a pastel artist named Alicia Sotherland. http://www.aliciasotherland.com/ We started chatting and exchanging ideas.  I discovered she was going to do a work shop in France.  I had a brain storm!  Come to Ireland and do a workshop here!  As months went by the idea developed into reality.  Soon 10 artists and their partners from California, New York, England and Ireland arrived at the Lake Hotel in Killarney for a week of painting and socializing.  I had never met any of my Facebook friends in person, but I had formed a great bond with them.  When I finally met them it had felt like I had know them for years.  Hugs all around for all my old friends.

Unfortunately I know I will never have the opportunity to meet most of my new friends in person.  I do know that I would rather have them online, then not having them at all.
Plein Air water color by Mita highton


Pastel portrait by :Stephen Higton 
Workshop in the Lake Hotel Killarney

Student work
My completed work 
Alicia's demosttration
After workshop relaxation. Plein Air painting at the Lake Hotel Killarney


Plein air painting


1 comment:

Gerri McCaffery said...

The site is wonderful, Deborah. Congratulations and much love. Best of luck. Gerri.